The Scottish Library and Information Council is the independent advisory body to the Scottish Government on library and information related matters.
SLIC was formed in 1991 and provides a leadership focus for Scottish library and information services. We lead development in the library sector, monitor standards of provision and promote development. We also regularly undertake research, promoting innovation and a greater understanding of the library and information sector in Scotland.
Our greatest strength is our membership. Members are drawn from the public sector, school libraries, higher education institutions, further education colleges, health libraries and special interest libraries. Every member brings expertise, knowledge and innovation to the library sector. By working together, that expertise is shared through SLIC.
Over the last five years SLIC has expanded considerably. We have built upon existing partnerships and forged new ones, particularly in the education sector and business community.
We have led in both the creation of Scotland’s first public library strategy, Ambition & Opportunity: A Strategy for Public Libraries in Scotland 2015-2020, and Vibrant Libraries, Thriving Schools: A National Strategy for School Libraries in Scotland 2018-2023 – a UK first.
Our aim is to support Scottish library and information services through service innovation, funding provision and informative research.
The five main strategic objectives of SLIC are:
We aim to:
- Provide a leadership focus for Scottish library and information services, facilitating coordination on a national level.
- Lead development in the library sector.
- Promote understanding of Scotland’s library and information sector and its firm contribution to the life of the nation.
- Monitor standards of provision and promote development.
- Advise the Scottish Government on all matters concerning library and information services.
- Undertake research and promote innovation.
- Foster partnerships with relevant organisations and institutions to further SLIC’s strategic objectives.
- Award grants to promote innovative developments in Scottish library and information services.
SLIC is a registered charity and registered company guided by a Board. The SLIC Board has strong sector and industry representation as well as independent members. SLIC is core funded by the Scottish Government and achieves additional funding to support its purpose through its membership and projects.