The School Library Improvement Fund (SLIF) is administered by the Scottish Library and Information Council on behalf of the Scottish Government. The new fund is aimed at innovative projects which support the school library sector and is available to all state run schools in Scotland. The successful applicants from the last round have been announced and can be viewed here.
Following the launch of Vibrant Libraries, Thriving Schools: A National Strategy for School Libraries in Scotland 2018-2023, an interim round of the School Library Improvement Fund will make £150,000 available to innovative projects in Scotland’s school libraries. This round of funding will open on Monday 5th November and close on Friday 14th December. There is no minimum or maximum amount for bids although all projects must be completed within twelve months.
A key contact has been allocated for schools in every local authority area in Scotland. Every application must be co-ordinated with the key contact in your area before submission. Please contact your local authority to identify the key contact for schools in your area.
- Strategic Aim 1: School libraries in Scotland are a key resource and are central to the implementation of Curriculum for Excellence, develop pupil skills for the world of work, and encourage learning that will stay with pupils throughout their lives.
- Strategic Aim 2: School libraries in Scotland use digital technology to deliver high-quality and efficient digital learning experiences for young people, enabling access to information and creative opportunities.
- Strategic Aim 3: School libraries in Scotland are central to education for all ages, develop a culture of reading for pleasure, offer literacy numeracy support from ELC settings through to primary and secondary schools, and enable opportunities for family learning.
- Strategic Aim 4: School libraries in Scotland contribute to health literacy, social and mental wellbeing, and provide a safe, trusted space for children and young people to be nurtured.
- Strategic Aim 5: School libraries in Scotland are essential to closing the attainment gap, support all curriculum areas, are well-supported by the school management team and operate under a successful working model.