SLIC is a member of Share The Vision (STV) which works to improve the accessibility of library services for disabled people.
In a UK-wide effort to improve access for blind and partially sighted people, SLIC has introduced the Six Steps Promise in Scottish libraries. This scheme provides a lifeline for the two million blind and partially sighted people in the UK. It ensures everyone can use their library and access the vast amount of leisure, learning and information resources on offer.
Libraries are a vital link for the public and need to be as accessible as possible. To help maintain clear service standards the following Six Steps have been developed.
The Six Steps Promise
- Ensure all blind and partially sighted customers are connected to the most appropriate service for their reading needs, making sure they can make full use of an accessible public library service.
- Use Reading Sight, the free website supporting blind and partially sighted people to access reading and reading services.
- Provide local collections of accessible reading materials and information in physical or digital formats. Be able to signpost customers to a wider range of resources.
- Plan digital and physical access strategies in consultation with blind and partially sighted people.
- Designate a champion for the reading needs of blind and partially sighted people, who has familiarised themselves with the specialist resources and services available.
- Support and promote Make a Noise in Libraries fortnight run annually by the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB.)
Making an Impact
Through adopting the Six Steps libraries can make a significant impact on the services they offer to blind and partially sighted people in their communities.
The RNIB’s Knowledge and Research Hub provides a good selection of support tools to help blind and partially sighted people. Their My Voice Survey also provides a unique insight into the realities of life as a blind or partially sighted person in the UK today. There is also a list of Audio Books Resources which can help you provide a variety of fiction and non-fiction titles.
For more information about the Six Steps Promise contact Paul McCloskey on 0131 529 6156 or email Paul.McCloskey@edinburgh.gov.uk